Friday, December 24, 2010

The Holidays. Sauna. Wheel Chair buddy. Afraid.

The Holidays: 
We're right in the gist of the holiday season. Christmas is right around the corner, and it's I'm so blessed that I have wonderful parents, brother, girlfriend, dog (rocky), and extended family to spend it with. Although I'm extremely broke, I was able to buy everyone a present this year. Most importantly, the most important gift to give is, LOVE. The whole reason for the season, is that just that. Love. Christ came down as a baby as a gift of love from God, so that He may die for our sins. It's crazy that for most, the first thing that comes to mind are, what presents to give, what decorations to put around the house, or where to go and what to do to have fun and relax during this season. But what should come to mind is the story of Jesus and Him coming down as our gift to have life w/ Jesus. This season, I have so many things to be thankful for and to give the Lord praise. Praise for my life and health after a life threatening accident. Praise that I have passed my boards. Even though I'm still unemployed, praise that I can take this time to relax and be stress free for once (a hidden blessing). Praise that my parents are in good health and that they are working, unlike many other Americans out there who are struggle w/ the recession. Praise that my brother is performing and doing what he loves, and finishing up school. Praise that I have a beautiful girlfriend who loves, cares and is there for me though everything and anything. Just SO much to praise the Lord for. This is what the holiday season is about. 

The Sauna: 
I've been going to the Drayson Center for almost 10 years and I have never stepped foot in the sauna. One day I decided to give it a go...this has now become one of the things that I look forward to when going to the gym. The benefits that the sauna can have on our bodies and minds are astounding. I've gained so much relaxation from it and I will definitely continue using it. It's also a place where old men gather together and share stories, laughs and all sorts of "old men stuff". haha. It's great just chattin' and getting to know these guys. I absolutely LOVE the sauna.


Wheel Chair Buddy: 
I met this man in the sauna a couple days ago. A man in his 30's who was in a wheel chair. He came into the sauna and we just started talking. I didn't want to bother and ask him about why he was in a wheel chair, but the whole time I was talking to him, I was just so amazed how this guy didn't let being in a chair keep him from doing certain things in life. I could only imagine how hard it is, and it made me think, how selfish I was for disregarding my health and abusing my body w/ foods and not going to the gym, when I had 2 feet that could walk, hands that could move and almost perfectly healthy I was, and to treat it like I did. I mean, I don't and have never used drugs before, but food is pretty much a drug that can kill you. From this point on I vow to never give excuses why I'm not eating right and working out. It's going to be a part of my life and I'm going to always be thankful that God gave me the health that I have, so I may use it for him always. I have so much respect for those individuals who have handicaps, but honestly they don't have a handicap...we (those who sit on their ass everyday and eat junk) are the ones who are creating a handicap for our lives. All the respect to those who have disabilities. Hope I see my wheel chair buddy again, such a blessing. 

Afraid:
21 days to break a habit. 20 days of being good. Christmas is tomorrow and it's 1 less day of breaking that habit. To "cheat" or not to cheat. I've ate healthy, gone to the gym or worked out everyday...I'm I ready to have a cheat "meal"??? I'm honestly afraid, but it's the holidays, and you can't be afraid to treat yourself. Everything in moderation right? I won't revert, but it's a scary feeling, knowing how I was just a month ago w/ my eating, and what I have become in just a short period of time. It's something I want to continue, and something I'm going to continue. Need not be afraid Russell Ivan, you've got this.

No comments:

Post a Comment