Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Fighting through.

I was always & still am the "happy" fighter


When I was a senior in High School, my life took many turns. 
I was always looked upon as the guy who was "always happy", or always "joking around"
The kid who was known for loud bursts of randomness, laughter, and obnoxiousness...turn into someone who was determined. 
It was during the summer between my junior & senior year when I realized that I had some fight in me. 
Battle through a stomach ulcer, I gained weight, having been prescribed antacids & small frequent feedings.
"Small" isn't in my vocabulary when it came to eating at any point in my life dating back to this day, so the weight packed on. 
I was a little over 210 pounds and w/ many senior trips coming up, I was embarrassed on how fat I was. 

That summer, I vividly remember one day while working at Kids U, I told myself...I'm going to lose this weight & get fit. 
The previous 17 years up until this point, I tried everything possible to lose weight...I'd lose 5, but gain it all back. 
But there was something about my mindset that just felt different. 

I remember having a talk w/ my cousin who lost a bunch of weight and he told me, all you have to do is count your calories. 
So this I did...I remember even counting the calories to a grape, which equals to about 6 calories.
I would go to school w/ a lunch box, that had post it notes on them stating how many calories were in my food. 
This diet consisted of: protein bars, trail mix, protein shakes, chicken breast, and Skyflakes (pretty much saltine crackers).
 
When senior year began, I was much the same, with little progress, but determined...I kept at it. 
I had so many people who doubted, from friends, PE teachers, family...but for once in my life, I believed in myself.
One day my best friend Justin and I were sitting in choir, I walked in w/ a lunch box, a big jug of water, and an inspiration fitness book. 
He laughed at me and knew I had to be joking! But no I wasn't. I wasn't the same guy who ordered a double quarter pounder w/ cheese meal (supersized), with a Dr. Pepper, 2 apple pies and some chicken nuggets for my meal. 
I wasn't that guy. I Changed. 

I also remember growing out my hair, cause I've always wanted cornrows, but Justin being the honest friend that he is, told me, "It'll make your face look fat if you get corn rows, you gotta lose weight first". 
I shrugged it off, but kept it as motivation to grow out my hair. 
2 1/2 years later of growing out my hair...I was at 146 lbs & was determined for more. 

Fighting through adversity is something I learned about myself.
The person who would shrugged things off, became a person who would put those comments on my back or failures that once kept me down...and PUSH through. 
It was an adrenaline rush to keep fighting through these tough times. 
I fought through everything: from being out of shape, to academic struggles, to relationship problems. I fought hard. 
Somewhere down the road, I lost that person who was able to fight through and prove everyone who doubted, I could do it.

This isn't about proving people wrong anymore. But proving to myself that I can still fight through, and keep pushing.
Growing out my hair this time around, symbolizes the journey that I'm ready to take. A journey where struggles will happen, but what matters the most is that you try your hardest & believe in yourself.
I always said...I going to do whatever it takes. To train like a freak. and that nothing comes w/out blood, sweat and tears. 
Now, it's just about bringing out the best in me, loving life, and striving to become someone who I'm happy with. 

I'm ready to fight through, and to be honest...today is one of those days I need to remind myself to FIGHT!
I remember Kobe Bryant saying something along the lines of: "Being at the top feels great, but the journey you take to get there is the best part".
Push. fight. and never forget that nothing is impossible. 

Be blessed.
Live. Love. Be Healthy. 
Always, 
Russy 

"A dream doesn't become a reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work. There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, and learning from failure."
- Colin Powell


No comments:

Post a Comment