Thursday, January 13, 2011

The mental game.

Getting in shape is just as much mental as it is physical. Much of what we feel physically is connected with what we are feeling emotionally and mentally. I believe that everyone gets sick, you know the flu bug and that sort of thing. BUT how many times is it really "all in our minds", maybe less than 50%. When I start feeling sick, I always start off by saying "I think I'm coming down w/ something", later I tell myself "It's all in your mind!". Half of the time, I do get sick, but the other half, I don't. Are our minds that tricky? Do we mentally tune out when the first signs of adversity occur? 

Growing up, I've always had a fascination w/ the mind. How it plays a part in our lives and how our daily walks and affect our overall outlook on life and how the rest of our lives continue to be lived. Throughout nursing school, I had to keep telling myself "I can do this, I can do this, I can do this!" and be the most positive person, and I eventually finished it out strong. I almost gave up a couple times, and sure the challenges were tough, but if I was mentally checked in from the beginning (not that I wasn't) and never doubted my abilities, would I have had that hard of a time? 

I think it's crazy how people (like myself) set goals and expectations for themselves during the new year, but most never even check off anything off that long list of resolutions. Most tune out after the first week and fail. I think the main struggle is the "mental" game. People watch all these success stories on TV but never believe that, those people can also be them. They make the excuse that those people on TV have this, or that, or had special help, or are supervised. Well...they're still people right? they had to make their own choices? they had to dig deep and do it themselves right? 

I keep telling myself that w/out mental strength, I will never achieve my physical strength. I'm into day 5 of my juice fast w/ 2, maybe 3 more days to go and I have definitely been challenged. I want to challenge what my mind (and body) can handle to see how strong my self control can really be. Juicing not only cleanses the body of it's toxins, but also helps the mind. I'm playing the "mental game" right now. If I can handle 7 days of just juices, there is no doubt that I will be able to do my diet on a daily basis. 

I am challenged every second of every day. Juicing or not juicing. I am the only one who can change what I have done to myself. Nobody can eat for me, or get up for me in the morning to go to the gym, or even to box with the guys at night. My biggest fear is still reverting back to my old ways, but I won't let myself this time. I've worked hard. I'll keep working hard. 

Mentally, I'm tune in. But it's just as easy to tune out as it is in. I will continue to challenge myself and keep pushing myself to greater limits. I can do this. I will do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment